Russian music with the Berliner Philharmoniker
From the middle of the 19th century, Russian musical life flourished impressively – as this playlist shows. Interestingly enough, the conflict between the rather Western-oriented Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky and the Russophile group around Modest Mussorgsky contributed to enormous productivity. A broad spectrum of styles finally emerged in the 20th century; it ranges from the late-Romantic tone of Sergei Rachmaninov to the Neoclassicism of Igor Stravinsky. Of course, Sergei Prokofiev and Dmitri Shostakovich cannot be omitted from this compilation: they brought new life to the symphony, a genre that had been declared dead.
- Johannes Brahms II: Orchestral and Vocal Works, Serenades, Dances
- Mozart’s most beautiful piano concertos
- “La Mer”: Water music with the Berliner Philharmoniker
- From Brazil to China: Classical works inspired by other sound worlds
- A conductor recommends: François-Xavier Roth’s highlights
- Popular Classical and Romantic works