Maestros in Democracy
The Berliner Philharmoniker are the world’s oldest self-governing orchestra of international standing. But what does this mean in practice? The answer is revealed by this film, which follows Sir Simon Rattle’s election as Claudio Abbado’s successor and accompanies the orchestra from the time of Abbado’s announcement that he was stepping down in February 1998 to the decision in favour of Rattle in June 1999.
A film by Isabel Iturriagagoitia and Paul Smaczny (2002)
Sir Simon Rattle
© 2002 EuroArts Music International
Recommended for you
- Claudio Abbado: The silence that follows the music
- Rhythm is it!
- Kirill Petrenko and the Berliner Philharmoniker: Dawn of a new era
- Trip to Asia
- Carlos Kleiber: I am lost to the world
- Bernard Haitink: “It comes my way...”
- A License to Play – The Karajan Academy of the Berliner Philharmoniker
- “Guardians of Unity”: Conductors in conversation
- Cathedrals of Culture – Wim Wenders’s film portrait of the Philharmonie
- Short Rides with John Adams