The instrument in the centre: The viola in solo and orchestral works
In 2020/21, Tabea Zimmermann was the first violist to be Artist in Residence with the Berliner Philharmoniker – a welcome occasion to dedicate a playlist to the violin’s bigger and darker timbred sister. It includes concertos by Bartók and Hindemith plus works by Mozart and Richard Strauss, in which the viola shares the role of the protagonist with a second instrument. Symphonic works also show the viola as the soulful heart of the orchestral sound.
- Berliner Philharmoniker as soloists
- Our concertmaster’s perspective: Noah Bendix-Balgley’s favourites
- Johannes Brahms II: Orchestral and Vocal Works, Serenades, Dances
- Robert Schumann in his works
- Musical Sunrises: “Let there be light!”
- From Bohemia and Moravia: Czech music with the Berliner Philharmoniker