The instrument in the centre: The viola in solo and orchestral works
In 2020/21, Tabea Zimmermann was the first violist to be Artist in Residence with the Berliner Philharmoniker – a welcome occasion to dedicate a playlist to the violin’s bigger and darker timbred sister. It includes concertos by Bartók and Hindemith plus works by Mozart and Richard Strauss, in which the viola shares the role of the protagonist with a second instrument. Symphonic works also show the viola as the soulful heart of the orchestral sound.
- Tchaikovsky in his works
- Director of the perfect sound: Herbert von Karajan with the Berliner Philharmoniker
- Berliner Philharmoniker as soloists
- From Herbert von Karajan to Kirill Petrenko: Historical milestones in the Digital Concert Hall
- Musical Sunrises: “Let there be light!”
- A conductor recommends: Susanna Mälkki’s highlights