A conductor recommends: Susanna Mälkki’s highlights
To mark her guest conducting appearance in May 2021, Susanna Mälkki has created a playlist of her personal concert highlights from our archive. It features music from the Finnish conductor’s native northern European region alongside symphonic repertoire by Beethoven, Mahler, Scriabin and Schoenberg. It includes four chief conductors of the Philharmoniker plus Herbert Blomstedt, Pierre Boulez, and Mälkkis compatriot Sakari Oramo.
- Familiar works heard anew: Musical metamorphoses
- From Bohemia and Moravia: Czech music with the Berliner Philharmoniker
- Our concertmaster’s perspective: Noah Bendix-Balgley’s favourites
- Igor Stravinsky in his works
- “From the New World”: A trip to America with the Berliner Philharmoniker
- A soprano’s perspective: Marlis Petersen’s favourites